Friday, November 27, 2009

Living in a bubble

Sorry I haven't been around for some time, things have been pretty stressful at work which of course means I've been on a necklace-making spur. When I get anxious I feel the need to disconnect my mind and start doing things with my hands. This results in a shitload of jewellery (honestly, I haven't bought any accesories for the last two or three years) and no photographs to start moving it around nor energy to take samples to shops. A few retailers have asked me for necklaces and earrings but at the low prices they're expecting I don't know if I could be bothered. Since there's so much cheap and nasty stuff available they can't seem to see the difference between imported plastic stock and handcrafted labour-of-love type creations. So I got back to redesigning my jewellery site, which I hope to show you very soon.

Lately I've been working on handpainted pieces. I reuse pieces I like from broken or spoilt jewellery, paint and varnish them and try to turn them into something lovable; this is a new fad, as I get bored pretty quickly, so I've gone from pearls and gemstones to acrylic and wood. I'm presently wearing this one, which matches my weekly love for everything green:



Let's see if next week I can get some friends together and go for a photo shoot. All my friends are pretty unique-looking and fantastic for shoots, I'm just lucky like that. Also, one of them's a professional hairdresser and make-up artist, and she owes me one (or more) after repeatedly waking me up at unearthly hours to go and model for her make-up classes.

On another note, lots of stuff is going on. I had an interview and a test for a job in a local newspaper yesterday. Pay is crap (as journalism normally goes), and it's more of a translating post than a reporting one, but it would be nice to get some use out of my postgraduate degree, and I loved the place. Wish me luck! It would be great to get a job, at least 'till recession is over and I can get a decent income out of publishing, so I could just stop whining over money and having the usual panic attacks when paying-the-printer time comes.

Recently I've been hooked on Stylebubble. Susie Bubble is turning into my all-time heroine. The way she can effortlessly wear absolutely anything she wants (no matter how quirky or awful) and get away with it, apart from being strikingly attractive (sorry, I always had a thing for Chinese/English girls) and be an all round sweet person is kind of mind-blowing.

 

Seriously, how DOES she do it? I hate that body and that dress, but she manages to make them look like something wearable and fun. However, look what happens when she dress up for a wedding:




I adored the fact that such a beautiful dress was the result of a dry-cleaning disaster. Am I in love much? Methinks maybe. And talking about love, you just have to admire a pattern named after the wickedest man in the world, Mr. Aleister Crowley:




Great wallpaper by Katie Deedy featured on Interior Design. Also available in other colours, such as... wait for it... green!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis